2019 was a great concert year for me. I went to 11 concerts, maybe more but my memory fails me on additional ones. Here they are ranked from worst to first.
11) Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple – Imagine playing only Deep Purple songs from the time when you were in the band and the group was no longer making memorable music. I walked out.
10) Black Keys/Modest Mouse – Disappointing.
9) Mt. Joy – Fun.
8) War – Free concert in the park performed with enthusiastic joy.
7) Car Seat Headrest – An pleasant evening with my oldest son listening to music by a band I was unfamiliar with on Chicago’s beautiful lakefront.
6) Smithereens with Marshall Crenshaw on lead vocals – Surprisingly good blending of talents.
5) Beatles White Album Tribute – Todd Rundgren, Mickey Dolenz, Christopher Cross, Joey Molland of Badfinger, and some guy formerly with the group Chicago performing all songs from the Beatles White Album with fun and style.
4) Heart/Sheryl Crow – Crow > Heart.